12/29/06

Eco Cabled Socks

I just finished up a pair of cabled socks loosely modeled on Handknit Holidays' Log Cabin Socks by Anne Woodbury. I added an extra repeat of the cable to the top to make them longer. I used a strange yarn combo for these: Ecological wool in gray and on the foot section only I added white wooly nylon. While I intend to dye these a dark burgundy in the end, I wanted to see if the wooly nylon would take up dye differently than the rest of the yarn. I tossed them into a leftover dyebath that didn't exhaust fully and they picked up color beautifully. I can't see the wooly nylon at all.

The strange thing is that the Eco wool suggested a 10.5 needle and I used #4 double pointed for these. I do knit a little loosely, so a #5 would work for most people. I just love this wool. I thought it might blow up a bit in the washing, but the cables are firm and not a bit floppy. Actually, this makes such a splendid sock yarn that I think I will knit several other pairs in different designs using this yarn. Big skeins and cheap - my favorite combo.


No comments: